Friday, August 12, 2011

The Earth

 Heinmot Tookyalaket (Chief Joseph) of the Nez Perces
The Earth was created by the assistance of the sun, and it should be left as it was...

The country was made without lines of demarcation, and it was no man's business to divide it...




The earth and myself are of one mind. The measure of the land and the measure of our bodies are the same. 
Say to us if you can say it, that you were sent by the Creative Power to talk to us. Perhaps you think the Creator sent you here to dispose of us as you see fit.

If I thought you were sent by the Creator I might be induced to think you had a right to dispose of me.



Do not misunderstand me, but understand me fully with reference to my affection for the land. 


I never said the land was mine to do with as I chose. The one who has the right to dispose of it is the one who created it.
NAHUACALLI


I claim a right to live on my land, and accord you the privilege to live on yours.
                                                                                                                         ----  Heinmot Tookyalaket (Chief Joseph) of the Nez Perces 
World Water One: Jicareras de la Madre Tierra

No comments:

Post a Comment